There are lots of different foods that are important to maintaining your healthy, especially when you are working out. My favorite way to cook a healthy meal is to try to hit a few different elements in one dish. Meet: Lemon Chicken Pasta. This dish has vegetables, protein and whole grain. These are important to your diet for a few reasons:
1. Protein helps rebuild muscles and promote recovery after a tough workout. Chicken specifically has vitamins that help support your muscles and burn fat.
2. Vegetables are important for the vitamins and minerals they give you which help reduce the risk of certain cancers, heart disease, obesity and diabetes.
3. Whole wheat is better for you than its refined counterpart because it contains the natural vitamins, minerals and fiber that are lost in the refining process.
So, let’s get cooking!
Lemon Chicken Pasta with Artichokes and Asparagus
1 lb. asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
4-5 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ pound whole wheat rotini
½ cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Place asparagus in baking dish and toss with 2 tbsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, then add artichokes and juice of half a lemon. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
2. Start water for pasta.
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a minute. Add chicken. Cook until chicken is almost perfect (white in the middle), turning once.
4. If you haven’t already, begin cooking your pasta.
5. Remove chicken from pan and slice into strips. Remove artichokes and asparagus from the oven.
6. Add ½ cup wine and juice of half a lemon to pan with remaining garlic and oil. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add chicken to pan and stir in lemon-wine mixture until it has soaked up about half the liquid. Add pasta, asparagus and artichokes to pan and stir until the liquid has been soaked up.
8. Remove from heat and serve hot.