European budget travel ideas that give you (not your wallet) a workout and a roof over your head for less than $45 dollars/night. Thanks to Milton Gilder, we now know where to direct the taxi.
Sunglasses. Check. Swim Suit. Check. Map of France. Check. Passport. Check. Don't you wish you can check off a list to bring you gym membership? Most likely you won't be able to transport your gym or capitalize on your gym's members-only card across the pond, but you do have your bands and there are additional options for the health conscious traveler as well. In face, there are a few European hostels and hotels that actually provide more than the free linens and soap. This list of six healthy hostels and hotels provide gym access for free or for a nominal fee. Remember, you can always tote your Rubberbanditz exercise resistance bands around with you anywhere and fill in the fitness holes where needed at the in-hostel gym.
1. Barcelona Urbany: Spain The Barcelona Urbany is a brand new hip trendy hostel that offers many of the conveniences of a hotel yet half the cost. Barcelona Urbany is fully equipped with card key accessed lockers and rooms, free Wi-Fi, common rooms, buffet style continental breakfast and much more. Barcelona Urbany has an impressive 25m indoor swimming pool, fitness center and jacuzzi all free with your sojourn. Free Wi-Fi, Food, Gym Access, comfy bed for less than 17 dollars a night...not bad not bad. Address: Avenida Meridiana, 97, 08026 Barcelona, Spain Metro Stop: Two Minute Walk From the Clot Subway Station Website: http://www.barcelonaurbany.com/
2. Ulisse Deluxe Hostel & Hotel: Italy Centrally located, the Ulisse Deluxe Hostel is moments from the main square of Sorrento, Piazza Tasso, and Marina Grande, the fishing village. Ulisse Deluxe Hostel has classy modern interiors that begin in the lobby and extend into the rooms. The hostel has a bar area and a well equipped wellness center where you will find a heated indoor pool, spa center and complete gym. The center allows you to practice yoga, aerobics, spinning and as well, it offers a number of professionally instructed gymnastics classes. Ulisse Deluxe Hostel would be lovely a stay if you are ever in southern Italy. Address:Via del Mare, 22 - 80067 Sorrento (Naples) Metro Stop: 1 Km from the Sorrento Train Station Website: http://www.ulissedeluxe.com/
3. The Circus Hostel & Hotel: Germany Smack dab in the middle of Berlin's cultural and night life, is the famous Circus Hostel & Hotel. This centrally located hostel has a number of perks in addition to the Berlin life. At the Circus Hostel you can find free WiFi, free Skype-Phone access as well, the hostel has a discount card which allows you access to a number of restaurants, clubs and laundry access at a reduced price. Although the hostel doesn't have a gym on it's grounds yet with the discount card you can access the gym across the street for 8 euros for a day pass - which amounts to less than 11 dollars. Beds at the Circus begin at less than 27 dollars a night. Address: Weinbergsweg 1a, 10119 , Berlin , Germany Metro Stop: Rosenthaler Platz - Only few minutes walk - Literally on the same block Website: http://www.circus-berlin.de/
4. Globetrotter Inn: United Kingdom Conveniently steps from the Tube, the Globetrotter Inn - nursing home turned hostel, grants access to trot across the whole of London. While lodging at the Globetrotter Inn, enjoy the fully licensed bar with its nightly specials, the green courtyard for playing a round of soccer and if you practice gastronomy this inn has a well prepared kitchen to make all the delights you fancy. In the dorm rooms you will find backpack-sized lockers, bunks with privacy curtains, and personalized reading lights. And to complete the Globetrotter experience you find a have well-equipped gym in which to complete get a weight and cardiovascular set. The Globetrotter Inn experience begins at less than 29 dollars a night. Address: Ashlar Court Ravenscourt Gardens W6 0TU London, UK Metro Stop: Stamford Brook - A few minutes around the corner Website: http://www.globetrotterinns.com/english/
6. Mad Hostel: Spain If you are mad for Madrid check out the Mad Hostel. This mad hostel is in the center of Madrid near a number of musuems, restaurants, bars, clubs as well it's convenient to the metro to zip around the city. At the hostel you will find an affably chill environment at the bar, live flamenco performances in first-floor courtyard or check out the roof-top terraces. When you are ready to workout hit up the state-of-the-art gym. Each room houses four to six people and include individual lockers. Breakfast and free WiFi are included in your stay for as low as $18.24. Address: Calle de la cabeza 24, 28012 Madrid Spain Metro Stop: Tirso de Molina Website: http://www.madhostel.com
When you find you are in dire need of a workout, buckle down and get er' done. Bust out your resistance bands or gym it up and keep the wheels spinning, the bar pumping, and legs kicking. Watch out world, here you come.