1. Set goals that are both specific and realistic. Have a set time period as your goal to help you stick to a new fitness regime. Write down your plan of action for every day, week, and so on. Start with a plan that you think you can accomplish or exceed. For example, walk for 30 minutes, and then run for 20 minutes. See how many times you have to stop and walk each time. Eventually, work up to running for 30 minutes.
2. Identify and eliminate your barriers to exercise and eating well. Make a plan to conquer and avoid those challenges. Take each challenge or excuse and write down ways you can solve it.
3. Put one shoe in front of the other. Many of us waste too much time saying we need to exercise but dread doing it. Get dressed to work out and don’t think about the next step. If you take it one step at a time, before you know it you will finish the cool-down and feel great.
4. Make yourself an upbeat playlist on your iPod to keep you moving.
5. Go see friends and family and do something that doesn’t involve eating or drinking. Go to the park, bike, skate or ski, or walk on a treadmill next to your friend. Grab some friends and use your jumping bands to increase your vertical leap.
6. Think of your food as a fuel for your body, not as a gift. Passing on food that is high in sugar and lipids, and take half the portion everyone else heaps onto their plate. If you go out, pack up half food on your plate in a doggy bag.
7. Practice healthy habits when you eat out. If you happen to be in a restaurant, identify the three healthiest things on the menu and pick between those.
8. Follow the daily food pyramid. Focus on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein and calcium, not sweets and fats. Also, take a daily multi-vitamin
9. Say no to junk food! Bring healthy, sweet or salty snacks to work, such as whole wheat crackers, nuts, fruit, or yogurt. Buy a slow cooker so that you can start a healthy meal in the morning so that it will be ready for you when you get home.
10. Drive less and walk more. Take the stairs when possible.